Class of drug
- Pentavalent antimonate.
- First choice treatment for canine leishmaniasis.
- Animals may be clinically normal after treatment but still be carriers and follow up treatment with allopurinol Allopurinol may be beneficial.
Routes of administration
- Injectable: 300 mg/ml solution.
- 100 mg/kg IM, slow IV SID until clinical remission achieved.
- Do not use in severe renal dysfunction.
- Do not use if severe liver dysfunction.
Other reported reactions
- Intolerance is rare but wise to start with one-half dosage and increase gradually to effective dose.
Other sources of information
- Based on Small Animal Formulary. Tennant, Bryn (1999) 3rd edn. Cheltenham: BSAVA.